Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Yummy Soup Recipe

Just made soup for my daughter and I - super yummy, only take 1/2 an hour.  This recipe was given to me by a friend - try it I'm sure you will like it. I used my cast iron dutch oven given to me by my kids last year for christmas - Paula Dean in Red (of course) - works great and makes soup spectacularly. And it's WW Filling Foods only (for those of use trying not to go backwards).

Joan Lunden's Chicken Tortilla Soup

In large saucepan or dutch oven, saute over low heat for 5 minutes until onion is soft:
  • 1 chopped medium onion
  • 1 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
Add and simmer for 20 min:
  • one 4 ounce can green chilies - chopped
  • one 15 ounce can italian stewed tomatoes with juice
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • 2 tsps worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp hot sauce (I like tabasco green)
Add 4 tbsp flour with 1/2 cup water, whisk into soup. Bring back to boil.
Stir in 1/3 cup nonfat sour cream, salt and pepper to taste.
Add cilantro and lime juice to garnish.

You can cut corn torillas into 1/4" strips, bake on cookie sheet coated with cooking spray for 10 min at 400 for low fat tortilla chips.  Use as garnish on top of soup.

Hope you enjoy.! - Dana

1 comment:

Nicole Morris said...

Mmmm, sounds good! I'll have to add this recipe to my Mama Melo's Recipe book.